Monday, November 1, 2010

Thai Street Food

Wander Bangkok's streets and you'll experience many things. A full range of sights, sounds, smells. Some rather exotic. Some quite organic. And most sidewalks are populated with vendors peddling a range of foods.

Hey, I've got an idea, let's take time for a quick snack. But hang on here for just a sec. I see insects, spiders, bugs. Everywhere.

Yes, you read correctly. As food. Thais seemingly have developed quite a taste for bugs. I could see what appeared to be steamed or fried water scorpions, diving beetles. Big ones. Grasshoppers, cicadas, crickets. Spiders, scorpions. Rather large larva. Young beetles, I presume. Seasoned. Some with garlic. Accompanied by sticky rice or fried rice. Garnished. No, not ant eggs. Yes. Ala carte. Or, in rice, mixed with other stuff. Perfect. Delicacies. Rich in protein, calories, vitamins and minerals.

I'd say grasshopper tastes like roasted peanut.