Saturday, May 1, 2010

Piranha

I was introduced to the piranha when I visited Leticia, Colombia. On the Amazon. I quickly discovered that my preconceived notions of the fabled carnivorous fish were quite askew. In an area where the borders of Brazil, Colombia and Peru connect, piranha are a popular food. The piranha is often caught and sold for food in local markets. And dried specimens are sold as souvenirs to tourists. Wait, I thought it was the other way around? We’re the food, right?

Is the piranha mystique then legend? It is rumored that local Amazons, to guarantee a good show for the an adventurous Teddy Roosevelt, while on a hunting trip, blocked off a portion of the Amazon river with nets and released hordes of starving piranhas. They then tossed a dismembered cow into the river, setting off a wild feeding frenzy. Cow, instantly skeletonized. Wait -- a well orchestrated show for a VIP? No, never.

Roosevelt declared the fish evil, and the media traveling with him quickly spread the news. Flesh eating fish. Your flesh, so don't slip. Hollywood, smiling.

Locals told me that they were not concerned about the piranha. Piranha nibble -- each other. Ouch, that was my fin. There are larger, more lethal dangers lurking in the Amazon. In the water. On land.

Buy a piranha souvenir. Okay.